Saturday, May 7, 2016

Visual Traditions of Japan Class Review

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may have read earlier in my blog in the month of April I attended an art history class at the Carnegie Museum. And I wanted to share with you my opinion of how the class was.

In just four classes we went from the Jomon period (prehistoric art) all the way to the Meiji restoration. I honestly really did enjoy this class although I did feel like I was the youngest person there which is kind of funny since I'm 28.

The instructor was Rachel Miller, she did a nice job at explaining architecture and the pieces of art we were seeing and trying to get us to understand the historical context of why and how it was made.
At times my dad and I felt there was way too much Buddha artwork and statues but I did like seeing them and being able to learn the difference between the Buddha artwork from India and Japan.

My personal favorite was the Edo period with all the prints, Ukiyo-e is a favorite of mine. Carnegie Museum has quite a few Ukiyo-e prints but the instructor said they seldom get shown because the art work is on paper and since paper yellows and deteriorates over time they want to limit the exposure it gets. Carnegie Museum did have an exhibit for them a few years ago which I sadly missed.

All in all I would take the class again and hope that one day they'll have more Japanese classes there.

If you're interested I know that Rachel Miller will be teaching an art history class later this year on Hindu, Buddhist and Islamic art in India if any one is interested, here's the link  www.coma.org-art history class  From what I can see it started last week, I apologize for not letting you know sooner. Though I think she will probably do some more classes in the fall if I understood her correctly.

Below are some pictures for reference of what I learned about.
Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend and I hope to get another recipe out soon for you guys!




Jomon Period



Ise Shrine


Ukiyo-e print from the Edo Period

Meiji Restoration




No comments:

Post a Comment