Friday, April 22, 2016

Snack Test #2 & 3: Curry Bread and Chocolate Coronet

Hi Everyone!

So as you probably guessed it I made the trip to the Japanese grocery store in Pittsburgh....again.
But as we know this blog is mainly dedicated to Japanese cooking so you know for blogging science!

While I did get a major haul of vegetables and mixes like hayashi rice mix I decided to try 2 of the breads. They had Curry Bread and Chocolate Coronet.

I never had either before so I was rather excited to taste test them.







This is curry bread and my first thoughts were of Black Butler and how Sebastien makes curry bread in one episode...yes this was totally an anime driven purchase. Now if you've made Japanese curry from the roux block before you'll understand what I'm talking about when I describe this.

First the bread reminded me a little bit like a sandwich bun, it was nice and soft and then I THINK it was fried because of what looked to be a panko (Japanese bread crumbs) covering on the bun.

The inside was filled with vegetable curry. There were little pieces of carrot inside too ^__^
I just love carrots so it was great. The sauce was a mild version of Japanese curry. It reminded me a lot like the S&B mild curry mix. So no spicy kick to it but a very pleasant taste nonetheless.

I tried eating it cool then tried heating it up a little bit in the microwave, it's good cold but far better warmed up.

Next up is the Chocolate Coronet:

So pretty, cute little spiral of soft bread, no it's not donut like it's literally a piece of super soft bread.
It did taste a little sweeter than regular bread but still bread. Not complaining though the chocolate filling inside was more than enough sweetness.

...if you look closely you will see the chocolate reaches into the friggin' tip of the coronet, no sad little end piece of chocolateless bread here my friends.





I think I will totally buy the coronet again, the chocolate filling tasted like chocolate pudding and chocolate icing got together and had a baby it was that good.

The curry bread on the other hand I think I will refrain from buying again although I did highly enjoy it I just think I'd like to try making it myself one of these days. If I fail at it I know where it lives.

If you get a chance and are in the area the Grocery Store is at 5855 Ellsworth Ave. in Pittsburgh.
It's not a ginormous store but it has all your needs for Japanese food ^__^ and the owners are so nice and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment