Saturday, April 30, 2016

Green Onion Kimchi Fried Rice

Hi Everyone,

So I know this recipe isn't Japanese but...I had kimchi...lots of kimchi and I thought I'd start getting to use some up. Now I love the classic Napa cabbage kimchi but my other two favorite are green onion kimchi and garlic scape kimchi.

This recipe is versatile and you can use any of the above mentioned types of kimchi in it. You can also try other kinds, if you do let me know what kind you used and how it went ^_^





I need to find ways to use this sucker up, I wish the Korean grocery store sold smaller jars.



This will serve one very hungry otaku, you'll need:

1 cup of cooked japonica rice
1/2 cup green onion kimchi, cut into bite sized pieces
pinch of sugar
pinch or two of salt
1/8 TSP of black pepper
2 TBS of green onion kimchi juice (don't worry it'll be in the jar with the kimchi)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 TSP sesame oil
2 TBS vegetable oil
green onion (fresh) thin slices (optional)

When it comes to making fried rice you can make it with piping hot fresh out of the rice cooker rice, but I prefer using older rice. By older rice I mean oh I made rice at lunch and now I have leftovers for dinner or day/2 day old rice, where it's had some time to lose some of its moisture.

In a heated pan (medium to medium high heat) add 1 TBS of vegetable oil and swirl to coat.
Add your kimchi and stir fry, I like to have the moisture evaporate.
The pieces of kimchi sort of look like they got smaller.























At this point add the rest of the vegetable oil and the rice. You'll slowly break up the rice with your spatula.


The more you do this and stir the rice with the kimchi to combine it'll change color a bit and pick up the red from the kimchi. Now add your salt, pepper, sugar, and kimchi juice, gently stir.
The rice will pick up some more color now let the liquid evaporate.
The rice will be absorbing all the tasty flavors.

Add your sesame oil and give the rice a stir.
Once that is added make a little divot/hole in the center of the pan.
Add your egg in the center, allow it slightly cook at the bottom.
You then want to coat your rice in the egg.


It's sort of the same idea as when you're making a divot when working with dough.


You just let the rice and egg cook (no more runny egg anywhere) 
Now you can plate your delicious kimchi fried rice, Sprinkle on some green onion slices if you want. I know I did ^__^




So this is what I made for dinner tonight, kimchi smells rather pungent when you take it out of the container but it stops when you start cooking it, and it creates a nice flavor. I so had this with some pre-made frozen egg rolls. I was such a lazy girl tonight.

I was originally going to post my recipe for Green Goddess Chicken Sandwich. I know not Japanese but so very tasty but....I realized I ran out of chicken so that ruined that idea but just for reference.
I took a picture when I was testing it for the first time before I added lettuce and put the other piece of bread on top. 

COMING SOON:


If you have any recipe requests please leave a comment ^__^
I hope you give my kimchi fried rice recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment